Mode of competition
A 3-day (72 hours) time-bound data-driven reporting competition
All full-time HKBU students (undergraduate, postgraduate, research degree students)
- Participants will first register online. There will be a briefing session on 22 Mar 2018 (Thursday), 18:30 - 21:30 at WLB 208. During the briefing session, the organizers will announce three themes, and kick off the completion.
- Participants will choose ONE of the themes, and form a group (2 – 3 members per group) during the briefing session. Individuals or groups containing more than 3 people are not accepted.
- After forming the groups and consolidating the theme, participants have 72 hours to work on the topic. Participants can work on their projects anywhere within the 72-hour time frame.Participants need to submit their work online on or before the deadline: 25 March 2018 (Sunday), 23:58. Late submissions
will be disqualified.
- The jury panel will review all the qualified work. Results will be announced in two weeks.
- Editorial quality:
How innovative is the story? How useful will it be to the target audience? How the work can explicate a story? How the story reflects news values, news angles, and the quest for public goods?
Design and layout:
How user-friendly is the layout and presentation? How creative is the design?
What level of technical expertise does this project demonstrate? How does the data analysis match the theme and objectives of the story?
Is the whole story flowing in a cohesion and coherent way?
- Champion ( 1 team, HKD 3,000)
- Honourable mentions ( 3 teams, HKD1,000 for each)
All participants will be provided with the relevant information to start their projects on the briefing session. Teams may begin brainstorming prior to the event, but all works should be built within the three-day (72 hours) timeframe.